Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Pineapple - Complete

Finally the mosaic pineapple, which I wrote about last month, is complete and installed in my friend's driveway. The installation took several days, because the hole it was going in was deeper than the mosaic. First I had to put down a layer of mortar using a 1/8" notched trowel. The next day, when it was dry, I put another layer over that and smoothed it flat. The third day I could install the pineapple, which I had glued to fiberglass mesh, on a final layer of mortar made with the notched trowel. On the fourth day, I grouted, and the fifth day, this morning, I applied a spray sealer. I constructed a makeshift canopy from sawhorses, a tarp, and bungee cords, since it is our rainy season, to keep the rain off while the piece dried.  It is a very nice surprise now to walk in the gate and see the pineapple, a traditional sign of welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment